- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can Carnation Evaporated Milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F Grease 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- PLACE potatoes and sliced onion in large saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes; drain. Set in ice cold water to stop the cooking; drain.
- HEAT butter in same saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in evaporated milk and chicken broth.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Arrange potatoes in prepared baking dish; pour milk mixture over potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese.
- BAKE for 50 minutes or until potatoes are tender and cheese is light golden brown.
- NOTE: For a twist on the traditional, spice up your Scalloped Potatoes with these tips. Add chopped ham.Or, add 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese to the milk mixture after it is removed from the heat and top the dish with additional shredded cheddar cheese in place of Parmesan cheese.
- No fat Carnation milk works.
- Slicing your potatoes in your processor is another time saver.