Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the stuffing or dressing I use in my turkey. It is excellent with turkey and adds moisture to it. The measurements are not set in stone...you can vary the spices to suit yourself. I often use Summer savory as well. The liquid depends on how dry your bread is. Also you can add more bread if needed depending on the size of your bird. My family really loves this.
- 1 lb bulk sausage meat
- 10 slices very dry bread (I put it on a sheet pan in a 200F oven to dry it out)
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 -2 apple, diced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups well seasoned chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup port wine
- salt, depends on how salty your stock is
- Brown sausage meat in skillet until golden brown and and fat is rendered. Drain fat.
- Cube bread and place in large bowl.
- Add sausage, onion, celery, apple, garlic , pepper, and herbs. Mix well.
- Moisten with chicken stock till it is quite moist but bread still retains its shape. mix well.
- Add port.
- Taste 1 bread cube for salt, adjust to your taste.