Recipe by Lori 13
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
Love saganaki; l-o-v-e-d Lori 13’s saganaki! Sensational! The only change I made – a really minor change – was to soak the kesseri cheese in ouzo rather than rinsing it with water (a tip I picked up from another Zaar recipe). Easy to follow instructions, and the friend I shared this with and I l-o-v-e-d the oregano, lemon, kalamata olives and tomatoes with the saganaki: a great combination of flavours. We enjoyed it with warm crusty rolls instead of the pita bread. Make sure you only use flavoursome tomatoes! I made this recipe for Pick a Chef 2006. Thank you, Lori, for another fabulous recipe which I look forward to making again!
- 1⁄2 lb kasseri cheese (in 2 large slices)
- flour (as needed)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup ouzo
- 1 teaspoon oregano (minced)
- lemon slice
- kalamata olive
- chopped tomato
- pita bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse cheese under cold water. While wet, dredge in flour to coat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet until very hot.
- Add cheese. Cook 1 minute each side.
- Add Ouzo. Ignite.
- When flame subsides, tranfer to plates.
- Top with oregano. Serve with lemon, olives, tomatoes and pita.