1/8 Photos of My Rough Khoubz -- Moroccan Flat Bread.
Hajar Elizabeth's Note:
This is a flat bread that we use for meals, sandwiches and breakfast. It is our daily bread here in Morocco and is rarely made at home unless rurally as it is so inexpensive and available on every street corner; small or large. This bread is good for soaking up the sauces,broths and for pushing the food onto and sort of dragging from the communal platter to eat. This bread is our knife and fork! This recipe makes 2 loaves and is easily cut in half for one loaf c.2005
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2This bread should not be "dense" with no air bubble pockets inside. You will need to flatten it as much as you possibly can; pull, stretch and flatten to no more than 1/2 inch. Should it come out dense, then next time cut the dough in three and make 3 loaves. Please don't go by my photo as this batch "over-rose.".
- 3Combine 1/2 cup flour, sugar, salt, yeast and water in bowl. Stand, covered, in a warm place until bubbly.
- 4Add remaining flour, and cornmeal into a large bowl. Add the oil. Add yeast mixture to the flour in the bowl.
- 5Mix with hands well to form a firm dough.
- 6Knead until smooth.
- 7Stand, covered, in a warm place 20 minutes.
- 8Shape into 2 rounds (depending on the diameter you desire as Moroccan bread comes in many sizes right down to little ones for sandwiches). Score the top with a sharp knife 1/8" deep into 4 (cutting an X shape), or using your thumb make a dent in the center nearly deep enough to be a hole, though not all the way through.
- 9Place on a baking sheet dusted with corn meal and dust the top also with the corn meal gently pushing it into the dough a bit.
- 10Stand, covered, until nearly doubled. This being so flat and the amount of yeast, it may not exactly double for you in size and that is fine.
- 11Bake 12-18 minutes.
- 12If you are making a Moroccan meal and will use bread to eat with you will need at least 2 loaves for 4 people. Cooking time includes standing and is an approximation as flours and temperatures differ.
- 13This bread freezes well. Simply freeze as you would any bread and defrost at room temperature. I freeze mine in tied white translucent plastic bags, similar to grocery plastic bags.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Rough Khoubz -- Moroccan Flat Bread.
Serving Size: 1 (85 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 354.7
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 591.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 12.1 g