Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Ok, so it's famous in "my" world! :) This is my ground turkey chili recipe that I've been making/perfecting for years, but am finally posting for safe keeping. My sister made this for the first time for Christmas to serve w/homemade tamales and she was very impressed! Her kids can be picky about their food and they loved it too. She said she rarely made chili because she didn't have a good recipe, but now she does! Best compliment ever! Note: You can add all types of embellishments to the menu; corn or tortilla chips, avocado slices, sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped onions/chives, Mexican crema, chopped tomatoes, onion, black beans, corn, corn bread, and on and on.
- 4 lbs ground turkey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 dried cayenne peppers, chopped (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons smoked paprika, only (not sweet or regular)
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano (Do NOT use regular oregano. Totally different flavors)
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic (garlic powder works also)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to desired taste or heat)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons chili powder, heaping
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin (Comino)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 4 cups heated low sodium beef broth (enough to cover all meat plus 1 inch) or 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth (enough to cover all meat plus 1 inch) or 4 cups water (enough to cover all meat plus 1 inch)
- Preheat crockpot by turning on "high". (This amount fits comfortably in a 6.5 qt crockpot.).
- Brown ground turkey w/salt in a deep skillet or dutch oven, til browned. Drain off excess liquid. Transfer browned meat into crock pot. Add all the rest of the DRY ingredients and liquid of choice, to cover plus 1 inch.
- Add tomato paste and mix until dissolved. Add green chiles and mix.
- Depending on the amount of time you have or want to cook this chili, I either cook on high for one hour and then on low for the next 4-8 hrs depending on the amount of time til ready to eat it. Or, we cook it on high for 4 hours if we need it quicker. You really can't go wrong on the time of cooking -- longer or shorter.