Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the best potato soup ever!!! My boyfriend's mom gave me a recipe similar to this, but over time I adjusted the ingredients until it was just right! Absolutely delicious and 10 X more delicious the next day!!! This is the only soup we eat in winter, it is just awesome!!!
- (*The main thing for this recipe is the Parsley! It is very important!*).
- Peel potatoes and cut them into big bite-sized chunks.
- Add the 4 cups of water to a big pot, then add all of the potatoes. Add parsley at the same time -- usually half of a 1.25 oz bottle, about 6 tbs of parsley.
- (*the parsley should be very thick in the pot*).
- Bring to a boil then turn stove down to medium high, let boil for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are "cooked".
- Immediately add the can of cream of chicken and the can of evaporated milk, all of the onions, and 2-3 more tbs of parsley.Don't use the entire 1.25 oz bottle, should be about a tbs left in the bottle.
- While potatoes are cooking, dice the onions, can have big pieces of onions and slices as well -- the onions don't have to be diced into tiny little bits. It is better if the diced onions are bigger dices.
- Let all ingredients cook for about 20-30 minutes on medium or medium low. Halfway through turn down to low-medium. Add salt and pepper, and more butter if needed.
- (*I usually don't eat butter in my bowl, so I usually don't add the butter to the pot, just to the individual bowls, but this, again, is just another idea*).
- (*can replace the cream of chicken with cream of mushroom to make it more of a vegetarian meal*).
- The next day this is even better. I have even thought about cooking it and not eating it till the next day -- but this soup is too irresistable for me to be able to do this!:).
I used 3 cups of water, 4 tbls of butter and garlic salt. The parsley was too much for us. I think I'll omit it next time. Also, I precooked the potatoes and softened the onions in the butter. Next time, I'll mince some garlic and cook it with the onions. It was very good.
This was exactly what I was looking to make with the ingredients I had on hand. And it was delicious. I tweaked it a bit. I had only about half of the parsley it called for, so I used that and added some Rosemary & Garlic seasoning I had. Instead of adding the butter to the soup, I sauteed the onions in the butter till caramelized and simmered them in a bit of white wine before adding them to the potatoes. And I added some sauteed mushrooms to the pot. And then, because my little boys object to large onions and mushrooms in their food, I pureed everything with my stick blender. I topped theirs with some bacon bits. It was all quick and delicious! Can't wait to try the leftovers tomorrow!
This potato soup was easy to prepare and very tasty. I was a little leery of all the parsley, at first, but it did add a certain something to the soup.