Recipe by Bondnz
My combination of a few different Lo Mein recipes was too delicious not to share! Not to mention I wanted to record it somewhere so I wouldn't forget for next time... yum!! The meat & vege portions given are approximately what I have used and are all of course adaptable. You could sub minced pork for diced or even chicken / prawns... Also add more cornflour if you feel there is too much liquid.
- 125 -250 g flat rice noodles, depending on servings
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil, any oil would suffice
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper, chopped & possibly more if you like it as spicy as we do
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper, to taste
- 300 g pork mince
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced flat sticks
- 1 cup cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 cup low sodium chicken broth, I use homemade
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the rice noodles as per packet instructions while cooking the rest of the dish.
- Gently saute onions, garlic, chilli, ginger and white pepper until onions are soft but not brown.
- Add pork mince & brown. Note: if you stir raw mince into the onions then flatten against the bottom of your wok or pan with the back of your cooking utensil & then kind of flip to brown both sides (instead of stirring continuously) the meat will cook in "clumps" leaving better texture & we think flavour at the end.
- Add celery, carrots & cabbage. Continue to brown for a further couple of minutes.
- Add stock, soy sauce, fish sauce & brown sugar. Cook until veges are about half done. Maybe 10mins or so.
- Meanwhile lightly beat eggs & pour into an oiled medium heated pan. Slowly cook until just brown, flip & once cooked slice & set aside. Prepare spring onions & combine with cooked egg.
- Add broccoli & red pepper to mince. Cook for another few minutes.
- Mix the cornflour & water together. Add to mince with the prepared rice noodles. I like to cook this all together for another few minutes to allow the noodles to heat through & soak up a bit of flavour. Just be careful not to overcook the veges.
- Mix in the egg & spring onion just before serving.