Recipe by Dee514
I sometimes use this pizza dough as a substitute for my grandmother's recipe (which contains leaf lard). This recipe works, but I prefer Nana's, LOL ;) NOTE: The 2 hour "cooking time" is the rising time for the dough.
Top Review by zoegirl21
I'll give it 5 stars. I debated giving it 4 or not, but I hate giving worse than 5. Plus, I made a substitution: I used whole wheat flour. It was dense, but that is only to be expected. When you are ready to stretch it out before you use it, I recommend not kneading it or folding it over itself. It is so much easier to spread out if you just pick up the dough ball and then stretch it out. Just a warning: This recipe isn't for the weak. It is kind of laborious, but a fabulous fat free dough,none the less.
- 3 1⁄2 cups sifted unbleached flour (all-purpose)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup water, let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Dissolve salt in 1 cup of warm water, place in a large bowl; add yeast and about 2 1/2 cups of sifted flour to the bowl - stir well to make a soft dough.
- On a board, place remaining flour, make a well in center and add the dough to the well.
- Knead the remaining flour into the soft ball of dough, turning the dough 1/4 turn as you knead and add flour, until dough is smooth and elastic and does not stick to hands or unfloured board.
- Cover dough and let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
- Divide dough into 2 equal pieces, knead each piece for a few minutes, shape each into a ball, cover with a cloth and let rise for about 1 hour 15 minutes or until doubled.
- Place the dough on a floured board and pound it lightly to deflate it.
- Work and stretch each piece of dough until large enough to cover a round 12-inch pie plate (flouring both sides of dough to keep it from sticking to the board, hands or pie plate/pizza pan).
- Add sliced tomatoes and toppings as desired, bake in preheated 400° oven for 20-30 minutes, remove from oven, let cool for 5 - 10 minutes before slicing, serve hot.