Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have many recipes on how to make Tortilla Soup, even the ones from Ninfa's, Mansion on Turtle Creek, Felix's, etc. But none really equaled the Tortilla Soup my housekeeper made during my stay in Mexico. This is as close as I can come to her recipe. Good Tasting!
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 corn tortillas, halved and cut crosswise into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon spanish paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 quarts homemade chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, in thick puree
- 1 (8 ounce) can Mexican-style corn, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1 3⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 avocado, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- lime wedge, for garnish
- In a large, heavy pot, heat oil over moderate high heat. Add half the tortilla strips and cook, stirring, until pale golden, about 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining tortilla strips. Set cooked strips aside in warm oven.
- Reduce heat to moderate low. Add onion, garlic and spices; cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, corn, bay leaves, salt, ¼ cup cilantro, and one third of the tortilla strips. Bring to a simmer. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes; remove bay leaves. Add chicken and bring soup back to simmer; cook until just done, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- To serve, put the remaining tortilla strips in bowls, top with avocado and cheese, and pour in soup. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
This soup is delicious!! I did as someone else suggested which was bake my flour tortillas, and I also added mushrooms and zucchini. Yummers!! I will be eating on this for a while. Thank you, Witch Doctor. =)
This was a MAJOR HIT! Loved it! Thanks for a GREAT recipe!