I never liked potato salad as a child...They either seemed too sweet or completely bland or worse yet, had some freaky ingredient that just didn't mesh well in the dish...Then one day I tried out a macaroni salad recipe that actually resulted in my creation of a potato salad with just the right balance of ingredients (go figure) and lightened a little by substituting in light mayo for the full fat version and leaving out the hard-boiled egg yolks using only the hard-boiled whites instead...Ever since then Ive eagerly awaited the warm weather months when I can make my potato salad...not only for myself, but for potlucks/cookouts, camping and for luncheons at work...I've even converted non-eaters of potato salad into eating my potato salad!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped (the whites only)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1Cook cubed potatoes in boiling water; do not overcook; drain and rinse under cool running water to stop the cooking process.
- 2Transfer potatoes to a large bowl along with the celery, onion and chopped boiled egg whites.
- 3In a small bowl, combine the mayo, vinegar, dill, dijon mustard, salt, pepper and sugar.
- 4Add to the potatoes mixture in the large bowl and toss all to coat.
- 5Cover and chill overnight before serving.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Perfect Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.6
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 96.8 mg
- Sodium 285.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 6.3 g