Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I never liked potato salad as a child...They either seemed too sweet or completely bland or worse yet, had some freaky ingredient that just didn't mesh well in the dish...Then one day I tried out a macaroni salad recipe that actually resulted in my creation of a potato salad with just the right balance of ingredients (go figure) and lightened a little by substituting in light mayo for the full fat version and leaving out the hard-boiled egg yolks using only the hard-boiled whites instead...Ever since then Ive eagerly awaited the warm weather months when I can make my potato salad...not only for myself, but for potlucks/cookouts, camping and for luncheons at work...I've even converted non-eaters of potato salad into eating my potato salad!
- 5 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped (the whites only)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Cook cubed potatoes in boiling water; do not overcook; drain and rinse under cool running water to stop the cooking process.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl along with the celery, onion and chopped boiled egg whites.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo, vinegar, dill, dijon mustard, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Add to the potatoes mixture in the large bowl and toss all to coat.
- Cover and chill overnight before serving.