Recipe by Angel91805
This recipe was adapted from a Copycat website with the help of a very sweet Italian Grandma. She was not happy with the listed ingredients, and voiced loudly until her changes were made. LOL. It is a wonderful soup! You could freeze some/all of this before adding the pasta. This makes a LOT.
Top Review by thomasjj93 s
I made this last night. I followed everything pretty much as written. I had to add extra beef broth because it was too thick for my liking. The wife said it was much better than olive gardens which I disagreed with. Its more like a stew than a soup. Will try it again. Thank you for posting.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 6 minced garlic cloves (or more)
- 29 ounces diced tomatoes, canned
- 15 ounces red kidney beans, canned
- 15 ounces great northern beans, canned
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 dash soy sauce
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 lb ditalini or 1⁄2 lb other small shell pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground beef in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat.
- Drain off most of the fat.
- Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and saute for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except pasta, and simmer for 1 hour.
- About 50 minutes into simmer time, cook the pasta in 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of boiling water over high heat.
- Cook for 10 minutes or just until past is al dente, or slightly tough; drain.
- Add the pasta to the large pot of soup.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes and serve.