Recipe by smartblonde #2
A simple to make onion soup. I made The Ultimate French Bread (# 223483) to top it with. Its a favorite winter soup of my husband and me.
Top Review by ForeverMama
Made it as first course for Easter dinner. Very yummy! I loved the addition of beef consume as it gave it a nice beefy taste. I did add a couple of fresh thyme sprigs, bay leaf, and a touch of garlic to punch it up a bit, but that is my own personal taste and not a reflection of the original recipe. We all enjoyed this lovely soup. Thank you smartblonde #2 for sharing. Made it for Spring PAC 2014
- 4 cups onions, thinly sliced (I use yellow)
- 3 tablespoons margarine (I use Promise butter spread) or 3 tablespoons butter (I use Promise butter spread)
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon beef base or 1 teaspoon bouillon
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash pepper
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 slices French bread, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In 5 quart dutch oven, saute` onions in butter over low heat 15 minutes or until onions are golden brown and tender.
- Stir in beef broth,beef consomme`, beef base, Worcestershire sauce and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 to 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl combine cheeses.
- Ladle soup into 6 ovenproof bowls.Top each with slice of toasted French bread; sprinkle with about 2 Tablespoons cheese mixture.
- Broil about 3 to 5 inches from heat for 1 to 3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. (Put bowls on cookie sheet to make it easy).
- Add additional leftover cheese if desired.