Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is a old family favorite that I get asked to make at least twice a month and serve with my cream potatoes.
- 2 lbs cubed steak (4-6 pieces)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream or 1⁄2 cup milk
- In a bowl or plastic bag add flour,salt,onion powder,garlic powder and black pepper.
- Add cubed steak in flour mixture and coat well.
- Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan.
- Add cubed steak and brown on both sides for 15 minutes.
- Remove cubed steak and drain grease out of pan, leaving some dripping grease in pan.
- Add can of mushroom soup,water and heavy whipping cream or milk to the pan drippings and mix well.
- Add cubed steak back to pan and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. (may cover with lid if you want to).
- Turning cubed steaks once during simmering.
- NOTE: you may need to add more water or milk to the steak and gravy while simmering.
Simple and delicious, and the kids love it. This recipe works well with pork tenderloin too.
Made this last night just like many others!! I absolutely love this quick and easy dish, especially after a long day at work. Browning the steaks first makes a huge diff in the tenderness, and don't opt out on the drippings!! That's where all the flavor lives!
Marsha - this is a fabulous recipe. I love how quick and easy it is finished but how tender the beef cube steak becomes after cooking. My family enjoyed every bite. Served with mashed potatoes too so I could use some of the extra gravy! My hubby is going to make a sandwich with the one remaining piece of steak tomorrow. This is definitely a keeper for our family!