Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Wonderful Russian style soup. Hearty. Healthy. Delicious.
Make and share this My Own Borscht recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 -8 cups water
- 1 large white onion, thickly sliced
- 1 large beet, cut into strips
- 4 inches fresh ginger, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup barley (or brown rice)
- 2 carrots, diced finely
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, minced (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 1 tablespoon basil (fresh basil for garnish)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup sour cream
- Place beef, water, onion, beet, ginger, barley or rice, lemon grass, garlic, salts, pepper, dill in large pot and bring to boil, stir and cover. Bring down heat to medium or medium high, stirring occasionally. Cook until everything done and tender, about 45 minutes. Taste and add more seasonings if needed. Add carrots, cook another five minutes. Remove from heat and pour into bowls. Add lemon juice to taste. Top with fresh spinach, basil and a dab of sour cream.