Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I have really been craving beef barley soup lately, but none of the ones I've tried have knocked my socks off. So I created this one for dinner this evening, taking elements from many different recipes. This is the result - which got raving reviews from my husband. The leftovers for this can easily be frozen for later. *UPDATE 12/15/05* I have made this quite a few times, and I have found that depending on the ribs you use, you will probably need to skim the fat off first, before proceeding with the rest of the soup.
- Place short ribs in large pot.
- Add water to cover.
- Place on stove and bring to boil.
- When ribs boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover.
- Let simmer 1 hour or so.
- Remove ribs from pot and let cool while you chop the veggies.
- At this point you may wish to let the broth cool and then skim the fat, depending on how much there is.
- Cut veggies up, adding to pot as you go.
- Return pot to boil, then reduce to simmer.
- Remove meat from bones of ribs.
- Trim fat and discard. Cut meat into small pieces, add to pot along with veggies.
- Simmer, covered, approximately 1 more hour.
- Season to taste with salt/pepper and serve.
This soup works. I did dust the ribs with flour and browned them to the dark caramel stage before adding to the pot. Instead of water I used canned beef broth. I also added more vegetables. After the beef was tender I cut it off the bones and added it back to the broth with the vegys & barley. My favorite soup. I did not need the au jus mix this way.