2 hrs 20 mins
I have really been craving beef barley soup lately, but none of the ones I've tried have knocked my socks off. So I created this one for dinner this evening, taking elements from many different recipes. This is the result - which got raving reviews from my husband. The leftovers for this can easily be frozen for later. *UPDATE 12/15/05* I have made this quite a few times, and I have found that depending on the ribs you use, you will probably need to skim the fat off first, before proceeding with the rest of the soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place short ribs in large pot.
- 2Add water to cover.
- 3Place on stove and bring to boil.
- 4When ribs boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover.
- 5Let simmer 1 hour or so.
- 6Remove ribs from pot and let cool while you chop the veggies.
- 7At this point you may wish to let the broth cool and then skim the fat, depending on how much there is.
- 8Cut veggies up, adding to pot as you go.
- 9Return pot to boil, then reduce to simmer.
- 10Remove meat from bones of ribs.
- 11Trim fat and discard. Cut meat into small pieces, add to pot along with veggies.
- 12Simmer, covered, approximately 1 more hour.
- 13Season to taste with salt/pepper and serve.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Own Beef Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 984.7
- Calories from Fat 748
- Total Fat 83.1 g
- Saturated Fat 35.9 g
- Cholesterol 172.6 mg
- Sodium 831.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 36.5 g