Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is one of my most favorite soups! I used to make this alot when first married because we had so little money, and hamburger was VERY cheap. LOL Serve this with a nice crusty French or Italian bread, and pudding or JELL-O for dessert and slip back into the '60s!!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup, diluted with 1 can of water*
- 4 stalks celery, sliced med
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced med
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced 1/2 inch
- 3 fresh tomatoes, chopped roughly do not drain
- fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- Saute ground beef and onion with salt and pepper until browned.
- Add beef broth, tomato soup (or canned toms*) and water.
- Add prepared veggies, parsley flakes, toms, and bay leaf. Simmer until veggies are tender (15 to 20 minutes).
- If you have any leftover tomatoes (fresh, frozen or canned) or tomato sauce, add that while cooking the veggies.
- Remove bay leaf
- * You could use 2 undrained cans of the newer canned toms like toms with basil, etc., in place of tom soup and water. Also omit fresh toms.
- Canned toms are what I use now, esp when good fresh toms are not available.
- Years ago, when I first started making this, these types of canned toms were not available.
Wonderful tasting soup with all the goodness thrown in. I added some fresh garlic and zucchini as I had no celery, I used fresh tomatoes as well as the canned and threw in a can of corn kernels and kidney beans. I served it with garlic bread and it was just heaven dipping the bread in the soup. I clicked on your profile to see if you were still an active user and I see the click here to feed an animal and I thought before I clicked that maybe it's the animal rescue site that I click daily and presto! it was, now you deserve 10 stars for being an animal lover like me, lol. Great recipe Nana Lee, thanks!! Carolyn :)
what a nice soup i also have lived on the cheap lol and this really extends the beef dee
Excellent recipe, I make this too all the time and is really good comfort food.. Thanks for sharing a great recipe nanalee.