Recipe by Nana Lee
I usually do this with chicken breast, boneless or bone-in. You can do it with whatever parts you like. I've been making my oven "fried" chicken like this since the '60s! This may sound like a lot of work, but it just takes more time to write it out than to do it. NOTE: See the comment of Jacqueline in KY dated June 10. She warns about expired biscuit mix.
Top Review by Rachie P
WOWZERS this is amazing! My DH said it was as good, if not better, as KFC! I wasn't sure how much seasoning to add, so I just kept sprinkling and then sniffing (HA!) the bag to "see" if it smelled seasoned enough. Also,I added some paprika to it. I was very nervous b/c I don't like prepared mixes and would rather have used a home made one, but didn't have time to make some. I used "Jiffy" brand and it was lovely! I used a family value pack of chicken which was 3 breasts, 3 legs, 2 wings, and 2 thighs. So, i didn't have leftovers from the bag of seasoning and had to just mix up biscuits separately, But still, it was AMAZING. THANK YOU!
- 6 chicken pieces, preferably bone-in skin on breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups biscuit mix
- 1⁄3 cup solid shortening
- 1⁄3 cup butter, not margarine
- poultry seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- IMPORTANT! THE TIMING FOR THIS RECIPE IS BASED ON USING GOOD SIZED CHICKEN BREAST WITH SKIN AND BONE-IN. IF USING OTHER PARTS, ADJUST THE TIME ACCOURDINGLY.
- Put the 1/3 cup of shortening and 1/3 cup butter in 9x13-inch baking pan lined with foil. I use solid Crisco.
- Put baking pan into cold oven and heat oven to 400°F.
- Meanwhile, put biscuit mix and seasonings in large plastic bag.
- Put one piece of chicken in bag and shake to coat.
- Do this for all pieces.
- When 400°F is reached, remove the pan from the oven.
- Place chicken pieces "skin" side down in hot pan.
- Bake for approx 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using the Bisquick left in the bag, add enough Bisquick and milk to make a recipe of biscuits per directions on box.
- You can make drop or rolled biscuits.
- When the time is up on the chicken, remove the pan from the oven, turn the pieces over and CROWD them over to one short side of pan.
- On other side, place or drop biscuits close together in all those gorgeous juices.
- Put back into oven and bake for 15 or more minutes, until biscuits are done.
- There is no need to butter THESE biscuits, they have soaked up all the juices etc from the baking pan!