1 hr 20 mins
Nana Lee's Note:
I usually do this with chicken breast, boneless or bone-in. You can do it with whatever parts you like. I've been making my oven "fried" chicken like this since the '60s! This may sound like a lot of work, but it just takes more time to write it out than to do it. NOTE: See the comment of Jacqueline in KY dated June 10. She warns about expired biscuit mix.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1IMPORTANT NOTE: the timing for this recipe is based on using good sized chicken breasts with skin on and bone in; if using other parts, please adjust the timing.
- 2Put the 1/3 cup of shortening and 1/3 cup butter in 9x13-inch baking pan lined with foil. I use solid Crisco.
- 3Put baking pan into cold oven and heat oven to 400°F.
- 4Meanwhile, put biscuit mix and seasonings in large plastic bag.
- 5Put one piece of chicken in bag and shake to coat.
- 6Do this for all pieces.
- 7When 400°F is reached, remove the pan from the oven.
- 8Place chicken pieces "skin" side down in hot pan.
- 9Bake for approx 35 minutes.
- 10Meanwhile, using the Bisquick left in the bag, add enough Bisquick and milk to make a recipe of biscuits per directions on box.
- 11You can make drop or rolled biscuits.
- 12When the time is up on the chicken, remove the pan from the oven, turn the pieces over and CROWD them over to one short side of pan.
- 13On other side, place or drop biscuits close together in all those gorgeous juices.
- 14Put back into oven and bake for 15 or more minutes, until biscuits are done.
- 15There is no need to butter THESE biscuits, they have soaked up all the juices etc from the baking pan!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Oven "fried" Chicken and Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (56 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 478.9
- Calories from Fat 353
- Total Fat 39.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 41.5 mg
- Sodium 683.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: