Recipe by Sharon123
A kicked up way to use leftover spaghetti noodles, from Emeril's kitchen to yours. Adapted from Emeril's cookbook, Emeril's There's a Chef in My Soup. I have changed this to make it vegetarian, using veggie crumbles, but feel free to use ground beef if you like. Enjoy!
Top Review by 2Bleu
We made this for 'Make it Healthier' tag game. We omitted the salt, used only half the olive oil, 4oz ground beef and 4oz ground turkey. Five eggs (e.b.), reduced-fat parmesan cheese and part-skim mozzarella cheese. Great blend of spices. Oh yea babe, this is one heck of a beautiful dish :)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces veggie crumbles (or ground beef)
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (2 ounces)
- 3 cups cooked spaghetti
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese, packed (about 4 ounces)
Spice mix (use 2 1/2 teaspoons )
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place oven rack in center position in oven and preheat to 375ºF.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and broccoli and cook 3 minutes, or until broccoli is slightly cooked(blanched) but still firm and bright green.
- Using or pot holders, move the saucepan from the heat and drain the broccoli in a colander set in the sink. Be careful of the steam. Rinse under cold running water. Set aside to drain.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, 1 teaspoon of the spice mix, the parsley, basil, 1/4 teaspoon of the remaining salt, pepper, and veggie crumbles, and cook, stirring, until the onions start to brown, about 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, the remaining 11/2 teaspoons of spice mix, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add Parmesan cheese and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Spread the cooked spaghetti evenly in a casserole dish.
- Pour the veggie crumble mixture over the spaghetti and toss with a fork to mix.
- Place the blanched broccoli on top of the spaghetti.
- Pour the egg mixture over the spaghetti.
- Sprinkle the spaghetti all over with the mozzarella cheese and bake it in the oven until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Using pot holders, remove the casserole dish from oven and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- For spice mix:.
- Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Stir well to combine.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Yields about ¾ cup.