Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A kicked up way to use leftover spaghetti noodles, from Emeril's kitchen to yours. Adapted from Emeril's cookbook, Emeril's There's a Chef in My Soup. I have changed this to make it vegetarian, using veggie crumbles, but feel free to use ground beef if you like. Enjoy!
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces veggie crumbles (or ground beef)
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (2 ounces)
- 3 cups cooked spaghetti
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese, packed (about 4 ounces)
Spice mix (use 2 1/2 teaspoons )
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- Place oven rack in center position in oven and preheat to 375ºF.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and broccoli and cook 3 minutes, or until broccoli is slightly cooked(blanched) but still firm and bright green.
- Using or pot holders, move the saucepan from the heat and drain the broccoli in a colander set in the sink. Be careful of the steam. Rinse under cold running water. Set aside to drain.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, 1 teaspoon of the spice mix, the parsley, basil, 1/4 teaspoon of the remaining salt, pepper, and veggie crumbles, and cook, stirring, until the onions start to brown, about 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, the remaining 11/2 teaspoons of spice mix, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add Parmesan cheese and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Spread the cooked spaghetti evenly in a casserole dish.
- Pour the veggie crumble mixture over the spaghetti and toss with a fork to mix.
- Place the blanched broccoli on top of the spaghetti.
- Pour the egg mixture over the spaghetti.
- Sprinkle the spaghetti all over with the mozzarella cheese and bake it in the oven until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Using pot holders, remove the casserole dish from oven and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- For spice mix:.
- Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Stir well to combine.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Yields about ¾ cup.
We made this for 'Make it Healthier' tag game. We omitted the salt, used only half the olive oil, 4oz ground beef and 4oz ground turkey. Five eggs (e.b.), reduced-fat parmesan cheese and part-skim mozzarella cheese. Great blend of spices. Oh yea babe, this is one heck of a beautiful dish :)
This was fun to put together and quite tasty. I used a pound of ground beef and I used the seasoning liberally. I may play around with this a bit, maybe layering more cheeses or binding the spaghetti layer together with a white sauce. All in all, an interesting and enjoyable dinner. Thanks, Sharon!
Everyone liked this, even the picky one (once he was forced to try it! :)) We use No Salt to cut down on sodium. I had a package of Morningstar Steak Strips and used egg substitute. The spice mix seemed spicy when I tried a bit from the frying pan, but in the final dish, it wasn't at all. I might even add a little more for more flavor. We never have left over spaghetti, so I just boiled some! Thanks for a great one, Sharon.