Recipe by HEP MEP
I can make this an all-day thing, but the results are a very tasty soup. I usually stop at the point where I have my chicken pulled and store it in the fridge for a while, and add it later when I cook the noodles. This is pretty much my own recipe, so feel free to adjust anyway you like.(I gave some to my Dad not long ago, and he said he liked it better than my Mom's. High praise!)A final note: I tend to always end up with a huge pot of soup of any kind - they "grow" on me throughout the process!
Top Review by Hey Jude
Wow, I made some really terrific chicken noodle soup today!! We had some great soup at a restaurant 3 days ago and I went on a mission to find a great chicken soup to do at home and I found it on the first try! I cooked the chicken with the seasonings and boullion cubes yesterday, removed the chicken, cut it up, chilled the chicken and broth overnight. Today I removed the fat from the broth, brought it to a boil, added the vegetables and cooked them for a bit, then added the noodle and chicken. It was wonderful, better than the soup we had at the restaurant! The broth has that nice yellow color and the flavor is so rich! My husband has the 'warm fuzzies' and is crashed on the couch. Thanks so much MEP, we loved this, my search is over and I'll always do this recipe! PS: this makes a lot - BONUS!
- 4 large bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 -5 carrots, sliced
- 4 -5 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons leaf thyme
- 20 cups water (approx. (or more)
- 18 chicken bouillon cubes (more or less to taste)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag egg noodles, cooked and drained
- parsley, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat chicken and water to boiling, skimming fat as it accumulates.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots, seasonings, and bouillon.
- Bring back up to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat for approximately 45 minutes to an hour.
- When chicken is tender, remove to a plate till cool enough to handle.
- Remove skin and pull off meat into bite-size pieces.
- Place chicken back in the pot,and add noodles, and fresh parsley if desired.
- Reheat and serve.