Recipe by Sumisan
This is just what I learned from my mom by watching and what I always do to make it. Past the noodles it really is up to what you have on hand. Different veggies are always ok! Frozen, canned, fresh, whatever!! It's all good! Really I vary the beans and noodles too, sometimes its bean less and noodle less!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can spaghetti sauce, any tomato kind
- 2 potatoes, skin if you want and cube
- 1 (8 ounce) can kidney beans, drain first
- 1 lb frozen vegetables, broccoli, green beans, corn, zucchini are all good
- 1⁄2 lb shell noodles, whole wheat, egg, white
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onion, celery, carrot in butter until onion and celery are translucent. Add the garlic and saute a little more be sure not to fry it though (makes it bitter).
- Add the tomato sauce and water, this I just wing, so I have no idea how much water, approximately half full on my large Ikea stock pot. You can always add more water later.
- Add the potatoes and beans and frozen veggies too at this point. now let it simmer for a while until those potatoes and carrots are nice and tender. If you are using zucchini, wait though, it will disappear if you put it in to soon!
- Add any zucchini when you add the noodles. Boil the noodles in the soup for a little while, they will cook through with just the residual heat of the food but it's nice to get them all flavorful. The 1/2 lb will be a lot of noodles, you might not need that much remember they double in size. So keep an eye on it and just wing it :)
- This makes a lot, usually lasts our family of 4 as a main meal and lunches for a few days, enough to get sick of lol.