1/4 Photos of My Never Fail Sponge
Jen T's Note:
A different way to make a light airy sponge. A friend gave me this recipe many years ago when I complained that I could not make sponges!! I hope it works for you!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease and flour 2 deep 8" sponge tins.
- 2Separate the eggs.
- 3Boil together the sugar and water until sugar has dissolved.
- 4Beat egg whites until they are stiff with an electric beater then add the water and sugar mixture.
- 5Beat well and then add egg yolks one at a time beating each in well.
- 6Sift together the cornflour, flour and baking powder.
- 7Fold into the egg mixture with a metal spoon as lightly as possible.
- 8Divide mixture equally between the tins and bake at 375'F for 20 minutes approximately.
- 9Remove from oven when sponges spring back when pressed lightly with finger.
- 10Cool in tins 5mins before turning onto racks to cool completely.
- 11Join together with freshly whipped cream which has been flavoured with vanilla essence and a little sugar.
- 12Sift a little icing sugar on top & serve.
- 13OR leave as 2 halves and spread whipped cream on top of each and sprinkle with jelly crystals or decorate with some fresh fruit or shavings of chocolate.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Never Fail Sponge
Serving Size: 1 (36 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.5
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 127.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 21.4 g
- Protein 4.6 g