Recipe by cookingpompom
My nanna made this for me as a child, I was a very picky eater, but I loved this. My nanna would swap between calling rice custard and rice pudding, so have decided to call it both! I have shared this on a forum and realised that I hadn't posted it. So here it is. I personally like this warm with stewed apples, but my children like it warm with ice-cream. It is also wonderful cold and re-heats well too. Sultana's can be added when cooking. Choose the condensed milk if you prefer a sweeter dessert.
Top Review by lauralie41
My mom loves rice pudding so I made this for her. I used skim milk and instead of heavy cream I had some whole milk that my DGD didnt finish and it needed to be used. Started with 1/4 cup of sugar and added more as I tasted. Did stir in some raisins before adding pudding to a serving bowl and letting cool. Creamy, sweet, and delicious! Made and reviewed for ZWT8 - 2012.
- 1 cup glutenous rice (I like aborio)
- 2 cups milk, dried milk powder and water work well too (full ceam, low fat, skim you choose)
- 1 cup heavy cream, unwhipped or 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4-2⁄3 cup sugar, to your personal taste
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, to sprinkle over
Directions See How It's Made
- Add all ingredients, exept the cinammon in a heavy based pot.
- Cook over a low/medium heat for 35-45 minutes, stirring often until you get the texture of rice that your family likes (we like it VERY soft).
- Do not let this boil.
- Serve hot, warm or cold.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over the top. I like to add homemade stewed apples.
- If you choose to refrigerate this, wait until it has stopped steaming.
- Careefully press the plastic wrap down and over the rice pudding so that it is touching to stop a skin forming.