Prep 1 hr
Cook 19 hrs
My Grandmother used to make these cookies every Christmas. They were hard, seedy, strange looking, and tasted like Heaven. They need to be made when the weather is cool and the humidity is low.
- 1 cup sugar (sifted)
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour (sift before measuring)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons anise seed (crushed)
- Beat eggs until light.
- Slowly add the sugar and continue beating (3-5 min.).
- Add vanilla.
- Sift baking powder with flour and add.
- Add anise seed.
- Beat 5 more minutes.
- Line a large area with alumnium foil (I put 8 cookie sheet sized foil on the dining room table).
- Drop 1/2 teaspoon size of batter on foil sheets. (I drop 12 per sheet).
- Let dry at room temperature for 18 hours.
- Bake about 12 minutes at 350 degrees, or until slightly golden.