Cook1 hr 20 mins
Crunchy on the outside and marshmallow on the inside. A real NZ icon. I have been making this recipe for 35 years. A real family recipe to share. We have this at all our family gatherings especially Christmas Dinner. (It's summer here then!) The secret to this Pavlova is the time taken to mix in the sugar. Don't hurry!
- Prepare a baking sheet by greasing lightly with butter and placing on it a sheet of tinfoil or baking paper. Grease the tinfoil and then shake on a few drops of cold water and smear around leaving a thin film of water.
- Beat egg whites, salt and cold water until stiff with an electric mixer in large bowl.
- While still beating add the castor sugar very slowly a tablespoonful at a time and keep beating between additions. This takes time so don't hurry this step.
- When all sugar has been added beat in the vinegar and the vanilla.
- Remove beaters and with a metal tablespoon fold in with cutting movements the cornflour.
- With a spatula scoop mix onto baking sheet and form into a circle about 8" in diameter but keeping the mix fairly high. Form a slight dent in the top if liked or keep flat.
- Place tray in the centre of a 350'F oven and bake for 10mins.
- After 10mins lower heat to 300'F and then after another 10mins lower heat to 250'F and continue baking for 1hr.
- Do not open oven door while cooking.
- When time is up turn oven off and open door slightly and leave Pavlova to cool in oven.
- When completely cold top with freshly whipped cream and decorate with fruit of choice or grated chocolate.
- Another idea is to fill centre with either lemon curd (made from the yolks) or chocolate mousse. Then pipe rosettes of cream around the edge of filling. I have also used instant puddings for the filling made with half milk & half cream to give a thicker mix and then decorated with fruit to match flavour.
- Note: If it looks like rain don't make! It has something to do with the atmosphere!
- Pavlova can be made 1-2 days before or the morning of the day required. Then topped on the day 4-6 hours before required.
- Pavlova with Almonds; sprinkle with flaked almonds before baking.
- Coffee Pavlova; add either 1 Tbsp coffee essence or 2 teasp instant coffee powder when adding the sugar. Top with brandy or kahlua flavoured whipped cream.