Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Some of Italy's finest ingredients make up this warming soup. Adapted from 'Pasta Cooking' by Parragon.... the original recipe called for spinach, which I didn't fancy, so I subbed zucchini. I get the impression that our zucchini are generally a bit smaller than those in the Northern hemisphere, so balance the amount used with your other vegetables, just feel your way! You don't want your soup to be over-loaded with any one vegetable. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into matchsticks
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pints water
- salt and pepper
- 1 (420 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 120 g short-cut macaroni
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 60 g parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat oil in large heavy pan and fry vegetable strips until just browning, stirring occasionally. Pour on water, season to taste with salt and pepper, and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, macaroni, parsley and rosemary to the soup, and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
This took a lot of time to cut the veggies into matchsticks but it was worth it. I used a 28 onces can of diced tomatoes and added 2 cups of water. I omitted the parsley and rosemarty. It's very yummy without the parmesan cheese. Thanks Karen :) Made for PRMR tag game.
So delicious and healthy too. Made this soup today for lunch and served it with some cornbread on the side (that's a Southern thing LOL). The only changes that I made was to use some vegetable stock and I added a partial bag of frozen corn that was in my freezer. This is really a nice comfort food for chilly, rainy days like the one we are having today. Made for the For Your Consideration tag game.
Delicious, healthy recipe. I wasn't sure if I would like the rosemary and felt like I should add oregano or basil, but I'm glad I stuck to the recipe the rosemary was a nice change. I added some thin sliced cabbage, replaced the macaroni with kidney beans for little added nutrition and a squeeze of lemon to brighten the flavor without having to add the extra salt. Thanks for posting the recipe!