Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
We've enjoyed this very tasty, creamy mushroom soup for years. Now, at last, I've written down the recipe! This soup freezes well and can be thawed and reheated in the microwave.
- 120 g butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 500 g mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons French mustard
- 1 cup cream
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Fry onions in butter until transparent.
- Add mushrooms and black pepper and fry, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle over flour, stir into the mushroom mixture with a wooden spoon and cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Gradually add chicken stock and white wine, stirring constantly.
- Return saucepan to heat, bring to boil, then lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add mustard, then blend soup until smooth with a stick mixer or blender.
- Stir in cream, check seasonings (you shouldn't have to add salt, but check) and reheat.
DH and I both thought this was a great soup. Added 1/2 tsp thyme while frying the mushroom. I think a good homemade chicken broth is key in this recipe.
Although I used skim milk rather than cream, this still tasted creamy and wonderful. Loved the subtle flavors added by the wine and mustard. I left the mushrooms and onions a little chunky rather than blending until smooth.
I absolutly well we the DH too loved this. I use cornstarch instead of the flour, once I left out the wine but that was a mistake, my sister wants this recipe so will send it to her, thanks for posting it