Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe came printed on the bottom of an ovenproof dish my mum had given to her about forty years ago. It became a family favourite, especially for parties so I usually double the quantity when I make it. As it is usually served with several other dishes I guessed at how many serves it makes.
- 1 (310 g) can canned red salmon, drained
- 45 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 600 ml milk
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 pickle, sliced (optional)
- 3 shallots, chopped (green onions)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, sharp grated
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, soft
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter, melted
- Melt butter, add flour, salt and pepper and cook approximately 1 minute.
- Add milk and stir constantly until it boils and thickens, add other ingredients, other than breadcrumbs and melted butter.
- Pour into casserole dish and top with buttered breadcrumbs (breadcrumbs mixed with melted butter).
- Place in moderate oven 180 deg C (350 deg F) until mornay is heated through and breadcrumbs are golden brown, approximately 25mins.
- Serve with rice.
I loved this! I am a big fan of salmon mornay, and this has to be the best I've ever had! have already made it twice, just forgot to review it. Thanks heaps for sharing it! *********************************************** I just made this again for Good Friday, but instead of using canned salmon, I used some leftover cooked fish from a BBQ earlier in the week. I doubled the recipe, using a little over 500g of a combination of trevalla, flounder, and atlantic salmon. it is truly delicious! I just wish i was allowed to give another 5 stars!
Thanks Mum, this was always one of my favourites growing up. It has been such a long time, but it turned out just as good as I remembered. I tried it out on some guests with young children who were also impressed enough to ask for the recipe, also a nice easy meal. mmmmmmmmm!
This is so delicious and easy. I actually make my mornay sauce in my blender first...then add it to a pan and add other ingredients. I used canned Red Salmon. My daughter asks me to make this when she visits, so now it's Her Mums Salmon Mornay :)