Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Instructions for cooking much quicker boiled fruit cake given below also. Mum used to make a boiled fruit cake often, sometimes with drained crushed pineapple in the mixture.
- 1 1⁄2 cups currants, 250g
- 1 1⁄2 cups sultanas, 250g
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins, 250g
- 60 g glace cherries, halved
- 1 cup butter (250g)
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup water, hot
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 250 g plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup rum, maybe little more
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, blanched to decorate
- CHRISTMAS CAKE:.
- Beat sugar & butter very well; mix in all fruit (soaked in rum overnight), carb soda and spice.
- Add eggs and then fold in flour, then add water.
- Spoon mixture cake tin lined with 2 thicknesses each of brown and greased greaseproof paper; arrange extra almonds around top - brown paper on top of cake while it is cooking will stop it scorching.
- Cook 3 hrs 150degC (300degF), lower for fan forced - check cake with skewer or knife if it comes out clean it is cooked.
- BOILED FRUIT CAKE:
- Soak fruit with rum overnight.
- Then boil everything together, other than eggs and flour; now add eggs and fold in flour.
- Cook at 150oC (300degF), for 2 1/2 hours.
- NB: Check both types of cakes after 2 hours.
I will never ever make a fruit cake the "conventional" way again. Boiled fruit cake is sooooo EASY! I didn't have rum so I added brandy. And I substituted 1 cup of plain flour with wholemeal for a bit of texture. Came out beautiful! Thanks so much for this recipe!
This cake has to be the easiest cake I've ever made. I did the boiled version (didn't soak it overnight, just added the rum to the mixture before boiling; would have improved the taste but still great!). The cake was perfect, tasty and moist. The mixture was quite liquid (I had to pour it into the cake tin), but it worked! I also didn't use the almonds (not a great fan of them).