My Mums beef stew! THE BEST Beef Stew and Dumplings - probably in the world. Takes a while to cook but is certainly worth it! **To make the dumplings you need a packet of 'Atora' Shredded Beef Suet.
- Please note: I wanted to add 2 tablespoons of mixed pulses to the ingredients but zaar doesn't recognize what I mean. The mix you can buy from supermarkets of dried yellow split peas and green peas.
- Get a large saucepan with a lid or a large casserole with a lid.
- Trim the braising steak if you need to of any fat and cut into bite size pieces.
- Chop the carrots, and cellery and add to the pan. Now sliced the onions and add them to the pan.
- Add the water and the braising steak and the pearl barley and split peas to the same pan.
- Add the can of vegetable soup.
- Bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer and.
- Add the oxo cubes and stir.
- Simmer for 4 hours stirring occasionally.
- ** DO not mix the packet soups as per their instructions. You want them only to thicken and flavour the stew.
- Instead - Mix the contents of both of the packet soups in a cup with little more than half a cup of cold water to form a thick paste - gradually add to the simmering pan stirring all the time to avoid any lumps.
- Simmer for a further hour. There is no need to be exact with the cooking times - all you need to do is make sure the meat is cooked and tender. Braising / Casserole steak can be cooked an hour longer it will only get better!
- You shouldn't need to thicken any more. You can add a small amount of small pasta shapes or macaroni if you wish. Add another oxo or some gravy granules if you need more flavour.
- Add a little more water if you need to (if it looks too thick).
- Finally make the dumplings following the instructions on the pack. 'Atora' shredded suet mix is the best. When the dumpling mix is ready put the dumplings on top of the simmering stew to cook.
- You don't need to serve with anything else apart from nice fresh bread.
- If you want it to stretch further just serve with boiled potatoes.
- This stew can be kept in a fridge and re-heated the next day if you want to.