1/1 Photo of My Mums Beef Stew - the Best!
5 hrs 10 mins
My Mums beef stew! THE BEST Beef Stew and Dumplings - probably in the world. Takes a while to cook but is certainly worth it! **To make the dumplings you need a packet of 'Atora' Shredded Beef Suet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Please note: I wanted to add 2 tablespoons of mixed pulses to the ingredients but zaar doesn't recognize what I mean. The mix you can buy from supermarkets of dried yellow split peas and green peas.
- 2Get a large saucepan with a lid or a large casserole with a lid.
- 3Trim the braising steak if you need to of any fat and cut into bite size pieces.
- 4Chop the carrots, and cellery and add to the pan. Now sliced the onions and add them to the pan.
- 5Add the water and the braising steak and the pearl barley and split peas to the same pan.
- 6Add the can of vegetable soup.
- 7Bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer and.
- 8Add the oxo cubes and stir.
- 9Simmer for 4 hours stirring occasionally.
- 10** DO not mix the packet soups as per their instructions. You want them only to thicken and flavour the stew.
- 11Instead - Mix the contents of both of the packet soups in a cup with little more than half a cup of cold water to form a thick paste - gradually add to the simmering pan stirring all the time to avoid any lumps.
- 12Simmer for a further hour. There is no need to be exact with the cooking times - all you need to do is make sure the meat is cooked and tender. Braising / Casserole steak can be cooked an hour longer it will only get better!
- 13You shouldn't need to thicken any more. You can add a small amount of small pasta shapes or macaroni if you wish. Add another oxo or some gravy granules if you need more flavour.
- 14Add a little more water if you need to (if it looks too thick).
- 15Finally make the dumplings following the instructions on the pack. 'Atora' shredded suet mix is the best. When the dumpling mix is ready put the dumplings on top of the simmering stew to cook.
- 16You don't need to serve with anything else apart from nice fresh bread.
- 17If you want it to stretch further just serve with boiled potatoes.
- 18This stew can be kept in a fridge and re-heated the next day if you want to.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Mums Beef Stew - the Best!
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 468.5
- Calories from Fat 254
- Total Fat 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 93.7 mg
- Sodium 1116.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 28.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
minestrone soup mix
oxtail soup mix