Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an adaption from a couple of different recipes and has become a favourite of ours. I use skim evaporated milk with a couple of drops of coconut essence instead of coconut milk. This is a warming healthy soup, with lots of spicy flavour.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 small potato, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup lentils
- 1 small apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Heat oil in large pan, addd onion, garlic,ginger, chilli and spices.
- Cook, until onion is lightly browned and spices are fragrant.
- Add carrot, apple, potato, lentil and chicken stock and then bring to boil, simmering until lentils and vegetables are cooked- about 15- 20 minutes.
- Blend soup until smooth, then add lime juice, coconut milk and coriander.
- Heat through but do not boil.
Very good recipe. My wife and I have been searching the globe for the perfect Mulligatawny soup recipe, and we think that this one is our favorite so far. We were spoiled by an Indian restaurant in Lincoln, NE, but we now live in CA and they make it completely different here. Thank you for getting us so much closer to the perfect bowl of soup!