Recipe by murr433
A healthy Greek inspired dish of ground turkey and vegetables and covered in a light tomato sauce. Easy to make but looks and tastes delicious. Can be made with any ground meat or made vegetarian by using a veggie crumble or just omitting the meat and serving as a vegetable dish.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 1⁄2 yellow onions
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 white potato
- 1⁄3 cup tomato sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray and/or line a roasting pan.
- Mince half an onion.
- In a bowl, mix ground turkey and onion, sprinkle in dried parsley and fresh ground pepper to taste but don't be shy.
- Wash potato, poke with holes, and microwave as if making a baked potato-approx 5 minutes Slice into about 4-5 pieces (depending on size) and place around pan.
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise and into thirds. In the larger sections cut out spaces and fill with some of the meat mixture, cover with removed eggplant. With eggplant pieces too small to stuff just place in pan.
- Cut tomatoes in half and scoop out centers, stuff with meat mixture and top with removed tomato. Place in pan.
- Cut onion into fifths and place around meat and vegetables in pan.
- Any remaining meat can be shaped into a ball and placed in pan.
- Mix tomato sauce with approx 3/4 cups water (to dilute) and pour over meat and veggies.
- Lightly spray contents of pan, cover with tinfoil, and bake approx 2 hours.
- Delicious with a rice pilaf and salad, and some warm bread to soak up sauce. Heats up easily in the oven and the meatballs taste great dipped in chumus!