Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is great. VERY rich! A little time comsuming, but worth every minute.
- 2 large eggplants (peeled, sliced 1 inch thick)
- salt (as needed)
- flour (as needed)
- canola oil (as needed)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion (minced)
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 lb ground pork
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 pinch fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon parsley (minced)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup kefalotyri cheese (grated)
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup fresh breadcrumb (toasted, ground fine)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 3 egg yolks (beaten)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup kefalotyri cheese (grated)
- Salt eggplant slices. Lay out on racks to drain. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Rinse. Return to racks for 10 minutes to drain.
- Squeeze between paper towels to absorb excess moisture.
- Dredge in flour to coat.
- Heat about an inch of oil in a deep skillet.
- Fry slices until golden on each side, in batches. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat oven 375.
- In a saucepan heat butter.
- Add onion. Saute 2 minutes.
- Add beef and pork. Brown well.
- Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, parsley, tomato sauce, red wine and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce. Cover. Simmer 30-40 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in the egg, cheese and 1/4-1/3 of the breadcrumbs to thicken. Set aside.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish.
- Scatter remaning crumbs on the bottom. Top with 1/2 of the eggplant slices. Then meat sauce. Then remaining eggplant.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan.
- Add flour. Cook 1minute. Whisk in the milk and cream. Simmer, stirring often until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in the egg, yloks, salt, nutmeg and half of the cheese until incorporated.
- Pour over eggplant. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes. Let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing.