Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
The best and only recipe for gingerbread I've ever used and needed. I use quite a bit more ginger though.
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar or 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil or 1 1⁄2 cups Crisco
- 5 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 1⁄2 cups molasses
- 4 large eggs
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 teaspoons ginger
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour into a large greased and floured pan.
- Bake at 350° for about an hour or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
This missed getting 5 stars only due to not being given instructions on pan size. I have never made gingerbread and was not sure how much it would rise while baking. I decided to use a 9x13 inch pan. It came out nice and golden brown. I stayed with the six tsp. ginger as I had just opened a fresh bottle for this. The taste was wonderful. I served it at room temp. with whipped cream.