Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
My mother makes this all the time. When I was a little girl, she would make it Christmas eve. The smell, for me, is what Christmas should smell like.
Top Review by jenshie
This was so outstanding! It reminded me exactly of the no bake cookies that I make, but wonderful creamy texture instead of oatie. I love it and so does my whole family. It was intended for a cookie exchange, but my family refuses to let it go!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 dash salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter (creamy or chunky)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix sugar, cocoa, milk, syrup, and salt in a heavy, deep pot.
- Turn to high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. When the mixture is at a rolling boil, turn down to medium and cook until soft ball stage or 236°F.
- Stirring constantly once it's at the right temperature, remove from heat, add the butter, peanut butter and vanilla; stir until well mixed.
- Quickly pour into an 8x8 square pan that has been buttered. Allow to cool before cutting.
- If you like nuts, you may add 1/2 cup of chopped pecans, walnuts, or peanuts when you add butter, peanut butter and vanilla.