Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My mother makes this all the time. When I was a little girl, she would make it Christmas eve. The smell, for me, is what Christmas should smell like.
- Mix sugar, cocoa, milk, syrup, and salt in a heavy, deep pot.
- Turn to high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. When the mixture is at a rolling boil, turn down to medium and cook until soft ball stage or 236°F.
- Stirring constantly once it's at the right temperature, remove from heat, add the butter, peanut butter and vanilla; stir until well mixed.
- Quickly pour into an 8x8 square pan that has been buttered. Allow to cool before cutting.
- If you like nuts, you may add 1/2 cup of chopped pecans, walnuts, or peanuts when you add butter, peanut butter and vanilla.