Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found a delightful little box in my bottom turnaround. It was labeled recipes. I sifted through and separated all the hand written ones. This us another of my mothers, oddly enough I don't remember it, but it will be tried soon I'll report back. ** On request - the chicken should be diced into very small pieces and it should be able to go in raw and cook through in the 60 minutes but should you prefer, cooked may be used **
- 9 slices white bread, diced
- 3 cups diced chicken or 3 cups turkey
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 5 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Combine chicken, bread, celery and onions; place in bottom of casserole dish.
- Beat eggs with milk; add salt and pepper. Pour over bread mixture (DO NOT STIR).
- Combine soup and sour cream; spread on top.
- Bake at 300°F for 50 minutes.
- Top with cheese and bake 10 more minutes.
Wow! This is sooooo good! I used leftover cooked chicken for this. It's really creamy and cheesy. I mixed some cheese into the first layer as well as on the top. Perfect use for leftover poultry. Thanx for sharing.
I made this with instant rice instead of bread. I also cut down the eggs to 2 & the milk to 2 cups. I cooked the chicken pieces before hand. Then I combined everything in a casserole dish & cooked on 350 for 30 minutes. My picky daughter ate 2 helpings. Thanks for the recipe... Made for 123 HITS
This came out good but there was some confusion in making it. First off, I didn't know whether to use diced cooked chicken or raw chicken cut up. I used the raw since it was going to be cooking for 50 minutes. I did sub 1 box of stuffing mix for the bread as we had 5 boxes of stuffing that my mom wanted to get rid of. All in all, I think it was good but it needs a little tweaking first.