Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
There are actually 8 layers, but as long as I have known my husband, his mom has been making this for all of the gatherings and it has been known as 7 layer salad! This salad looks especially nice in a glass bowl to display the layers.
- 1 head lettuce, broken into bite size pieces
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups mayonnaise, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 7 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
- Layer the ingredients in the order given.
- Let stand 8 to 10 hours or overnight.
This is a great "make-ahead" salad. I put it all together (except for the cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon) and refrigerated about 8 hours. Just before serving, I sprinkled the top with the grated cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon. It was a hit with everyone. Thank you so much Pamela for sharing this. :-)
Made this for christmas eve get-together. made double batch. the only change I made was , I used splenda instead of sugar for dressing and prepackaged bacon pieces. the pan was scraped clean. this is a keeper. will be making again and again.
This is really good. I added sunflower seeds for a little extra crunch.