Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Mom's sweet potato pies are a vital part of my family's Thanksgiving. This is a recipe she inherited from her mother. The blender incorporates ingredients so well that this makes a creamy pie beyond belief. Mom prefers her sweet potato pie without any spices at all, but I usually add pinch or two of the spices listed below. Also, in lieu of the glaze, we opt for a creamy refrigerated whipped topping, but I've included glaze directions as an option.
- 2 unbaked pie shells
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1 pinch clove (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar (optional)
- Place pie shells in 350°F oven for about 5 minutes, or till just barely brown; set aside.
- Place remaining pie ingredients in blender container and whirl till well-blended.
- Pour equally into the 2 pie shells.
- Place in 350°F oven; bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or till filling is set.
- (Note: if crust begins to get too brown during cooking, use strips of aluminum foil along the crust ridges to keep from over-browning) While pie is cooking, glaze may be prepared: Place ingredients for glaze into mixing bowl and blend with electric mixer until smooth.
- Drizzle glaze over pies while they are still warm.