Recipe by Barb in WNY
Remembered this cookie recipe from childhood. It tastes better when Mom makes it.
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- sugar, for dusting cookies
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Mix shortening, margarine, sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except sugar.
- Divide dough into 3 equal parts.
- Roll each part 1/4-inch thick on a lightly floured cloth-covered board.
- Cut with a 2-inch cookie cutter; sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake until no imprint remains when lightly touched, about 6- 8 minutes.