Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A childhood favourite. Different from the other Zaar postings, as this one does not have rice in it. My Mom always uses a small roast pan for this dish.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 -4 potatoes, sliced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans brown beans (pork 'n beans)
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 0.5 (10 ounce) can water
- Brown hamburger with one of the chopped onions.
- Place browned hamburger in the bottom of the roast pan.
- Alternately layer the sliced potatoes and chopped onion on top of beef.
- Spread the two cans of beans on top of the potatoes.
- Spread the tomato soup on top of the beans.
- Pour the half can of water over all.
- Bake,* covered*, in a 350 F oven for about 1 -1 1/2 hours, or until the potatoes are tender.
This is what we had for lunch today. It went over very well with the kids and had good flavor. The only change I made was to add some shredded cheese the last few minutes of baking. I used red potatoes for this. Make sure you slice them as thin as possible. I had a few about Â¼ inch thick and they were a little hard at the end of baking. If you wonder what type of beans I used, it was a can of kidney (drained) and one of pork & beans. I mixed them together before topping the potatoes with them. I also mixed the soup and water together to get it to spread more evenly. One more note, this casserole should be covered as some of the beans got a little dry. I adopted L. Davenport for PAC Fall 2006
I have a similiar recipe posted that uses a crockpot so I decided to do this one that way too. Works very well and makes for an easy weeknight dinner.