Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep2 hrs 30 mins
My mom has been using this dough recipe since I was 3 or 4 years old. I believe it came from a friend of hers from church who's name was Audrey Doherty. This recipe NEVER fails! You can adjust this to be a sweeter dough or a more savory dough by adding more or less sugar/salt. Recently I have started experimenting with adding different herbs for different flavors. Last night I added 1 tsp of garlic powder and 1 tsp of italian seasoning and we had them with spaghetti and Kittencal's meatballs :D Also, as you will see the recipe as posted calls for shortening, but most of the time I use butter instead. I think it makes them fluffier.
- Into measuring cup of water, add 1 tbs sugar and yeast.
- Wait for yeast to foam.
- In bowl of KA mixer, add flour, shortening, salt and sugar.
- Add yeast and water.
- Mix on low speed until dough starts to pull away from bowl.
- Mix on medium for about 6 minutes to knead.
- Place dough into oiled bowl and cover with a lightweight towel.
- Allow to rise until doubled in size, about an hour or so.
- Punch down and knead lightly.
- Cut dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Place into a greased muffin tin and allow to rise again.
- Bake at 350* for 11 to 14 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and brush with butter.