2 hrs 42 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
My mom has been using this dough recipe since I was 3 or 4 years old. I believe it came from a friend of hers from church who's name was Audrey Doherty. This recipe NEVER fails! You can adjust this to be a sweeter dough or a more savory dough by adding more or less sugar/salt. Recently I have started experimenting with adding different herbs for different flavors. Last night I added 1 tsp of garlic powder and 1 tsp of italian seasoning and we had them with spaghetti and Kittencal's meatballs :D Also, as you will see the recipe as posted calls for shortening, but most of the time I use butter instead. I think it makes them fluffier.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Into measuring cup of water, add 1 tbs sugar and yeast.
- 2Wait for yeast to foam.
- 3In bowl of KA mixer, add flour, shortening, salt and sugar.
- 4Add yeast and water.
- 5Mix on low speed until dough starts to pull away from bowl.
- 6Mix on medium for about 6 minutes to knead.
- 7Place dough into oiled bowl and cover with a lightweight towel.
- 8Allow to rise until doubled in size, about an hour or so.
- 9Punch down and knead lightly.
- 10Cut dough into 12 equal pieces.
- 11Place into a greased muffin tin and allow to rise again.
- 12Bake at 350* for 11 to 14 minutes, until golden brown.
- 13Remove from oven and brush with butter.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Mom's Roll Dough
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.7
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 292.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 3.9 g