Becky #7's Note:
So delicious! So easy! So healthy! So... saucy! My mom has been cooking this for decades. It's a modified version of a recipe from a cookbook called "The No Willpower Diet". It's perfect comfort food--chicken in a yummy, tomato-y sauce. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large pan (large enough to hold all the chicken in one layer, along with some sauce), brown the chicken in the oil. If you have a non-stick pan, you can omit the oil.
- 2While the chicken is browning (or before), mix the tomato paste with the liquid from the canned mushrooms. Add more water if necessary -- the goal is to be able to pour the sauce, though it should still be pretty thick. (If you want to use fresh mushrooms, then you can just use water for this step.).
- 3Sprinkle the chicken with the thyme, salt, and pepper.
- 4Cover the chicken with the chopped onions.
- 5Pour the tomato/liquid mixture on top of everything. Mix things together as well as you can. At this point it might seem like you won't have enough tomato sauce, but as the chicken and onions cook, they'll release their liquids and you'll have more sauce.
- 6Cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes. Uncover occasionally to shift things around, flip the chicken over, and pour the sauce over the chicken. Add water as needed (but it might not be needed at all).
- 7If you're using fresh mushrooms instead of canned, sauté them in a separate skillet.
- 8When chicken is cooked, reduce the heat so that the sauce is no longer simmering. Add the yogurt, mushrooms, and parsley. Stir until everything is blended and warm.
- 9Serve over rice (we use brown rice) -- you'll definitely want something to soak up all the yummy sauce!
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Mom's " Red Chicken "
Serving Size: 1 (244 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.3
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 69.2 mg
- Sodium 458.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 22.6 g