Recipe by Ingen
My Mom makes the best berry pie in the world. Her crusts are homemade with flour, water, and a great no trans-fat shortening. The filling is so easy it hardly warrants an entry but it's just so wonderful I had to share.
Top Review by Eunah H.
Made this pie for church along with black and white chocolate pecan salted cookies. I'm pretty sure everyone will freaked out about how good it will be; I'm that confident in my baking skill and this recipe ;)
Crust (make 2)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening, plus
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 -3 tablespoons cold water
- 4 cups raspberries, buy them when they're in season and freeze them in two-cup portions
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar, if you're using a sweeter berry like strawberries you can cut the sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut in shortening with either a fork or pastry blender.
- Sprinkle in cold water 1 teaspoon at a time until flour is moist enough to form a dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, role the ball of dough out into an 8 inch circle.
- Repeat above steps to make second crust.
- Place first crust into pie plate and set second crust aside
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour mixture into a 8 inch pie plate lined with one crust.
- Lay other crust on top, trim edges and minutes.
- Bake at 425 for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.