Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My Mom makes the best berry pie in the world. Her crusts are homemade with flour, water, and a great no trans-fat shortening. The filling is so easy it hardly warrants an entry but it's just so wonderful I had to share.
Crust (make 2)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening, plus
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 -3 tablespoons cold water
- 4 cups raspberries, buy them when they're in season and freeze them in two-cup portions
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar, if you're using a sweeter berry like strawberries you can cut the sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut in shortening with either a fork or pastry blender.
- Sprinkle in cold water 1 teaspoon at a time until flour is moist enough to form a dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, role the ball of dough out into an 8 inch circle.
- Repeat above steps to make second crust.
- Place first crust into pie plate and set second crust aside
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour mixture into a 8 inch pie plate lined with one crust.
- Lay other crust on top, trim edges and minutes.
- Bake at 425 for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
very good simple recipe,filling was not runny or overly sweet.<br/>had to add a little cooking time.
This was excellent. love raspberry pie. Thanks
I made the pie with my favorite pie crust, and like Cooking Mama 3 I put in 3/4 cup flour because I made it in my toaster oven instead. Turned out good. I will definitely make it again.