Recipe by Sarah Chana
My mom, the Galicianer, makes a mean potato soup that every eastern European native (or wannabe) will love. Easy, hearty, nourishes the soul.
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, chopped (optional)
- fresh parsley, to taste
- fresh dill, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, minced (to taste)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Put potatoes in a soup pot and add water to cover, plus another few inches. Salt and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the carrots, optional parsnips and s, parsley, dill, garlic.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 1 hour.
- While soup is boiling, saute the onion in oil in a skillet. When the onions are golden, add flour to make a roux. Thin with a little bit of water. Bring to a boil to thicken and then add to the soup.
- Simmer a few more minutes and season to taste.