Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This how my mom makes potato salad and whenever we go somewhere and have to take a dish I am asked to bring this. Thought I would pass it on.
- 6 white potatoes or 6 red potatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 Spanish onion (red onion)
- 4 eggs, boiled
- 2 cucumbers, remove the seeds (use the meat only)
- 2 1⁄2 cups Hellmanns Mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup Dijonnaise mustard (mom always used plain yellow ( i modified the recipe with the Dijonnaise) or 1⁄3 cup yellow mustard (mom always used plain yellow ( i modified the recipe with the Dijonnaise)
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes and cut into cubes, cool.
- Cut the vegetables and eggs up to whatever size you prefer.
- Combine veggies with potatoes and toss.
- Add mayo, mustard, horseradish, salt and pepper to taste. Stir.
- Better after it has time to "sit".
I always mix my dressing ingredients together first before adding to the entire dish. For instance mix the mayo, salt, pepper, horseradish together first in a small dish. If you are usign small pieces of onion and celery too then add that in as well, Then mix all of that with the potatoes. It spreads all of the dressing ingredients better throughout the salad. Tastes better faster. Although it is always better to let it "sit" a bit before serving this helps speed up that process.
Found the vegetables overpowering and could not taste the potato. They made it too crunchy. Also thought that there was way too much dressing and it seemed to drown the salad.
This is sooo good! I made this for my grandmother's funeral because my mom was making the "family recipe" and I didn't realize it and made a potato salad, too. So, I just quickly modified our recipe to yours and I love it! Thanks so much for sharing! Oh, and my version had celery in it because I'd already made it all up except for the dressing, cucumbers and green pepper, so it was just like yours, but with celery. Still totally yummy. :)