To me, my mom made the best potato salad ever. When she passed away, I thought that it was gone forever. Well, after playing around with it, I decided that I should write it down so it wouldn't be lost. This is a plain potato salad, so if you want to perk it up go ahead. I like to use russet potatoes. The time for cooking eggs isn't included in cook time. Cook time is also chill time. Posted September 14th, 2005.
- Place potatoes in a large Dutch oven.
- Add enough water to cover potatoes, cover.
- Boil until fork tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain; do not peel potatoes at this point.
- Place in "fridge" for about 30 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Remove from "fridge".
- Peel and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, pepper, salt, and sugar, mixing well.
- Add potatoes, making sure to coat all potatoes with mayonnaise mixture.
- Chill for about 4 hours, or overnight is better.
- Before serving, lay one sliced hard-boiled egg in circle in the middle.
- Sprinkle with paprika if desired.