Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe was given to me by my friend, Tracy Wernsman. It is very yummy and I know holds a special place in her heart. Enjoy!
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Blend dry ingredients with milk and oil, beat eggs in thoroughly and add flavorings.
- Pour into 2 greased bread loaf pans. Make sure pans are greased to prevent sticking or even better, use a non-stick pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Test with toothpick.
- Meanwhile, melt butter, add juice, sugar, vanilla and almond extract.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remain warm.
- When bread is done, drag a knife around edges of your pan, poke holes with a fork in random pattern.
- Drizzle glaze over and in cake.
- Cool thoroughly.
- Wrap in Saran Wrap.
- Refrigerate or freeze.
- Could also make muffins or smaller loaves.
I've been craving almond poppy seed bread and this hit the spot. Mine was done about 5min early. The glaze was a perfect addition - not too orangey like I was afraid of. Thanks!
for some of you frustrated reviewere: There are a few necessary steps that you must go through before you put your ingredients together and put the item in the oven:
1. read the recipe
2. read the reviews to see if you need to modify anything
3. read the recipe again after you have made any modifications
4. get all utensils and ingredients together into one place
5. READ THE RECIPE
This rece=ipe needed no modifications, It turned out fine as written. I've been making this bread for years and have never tired of it.
I made this for my bf for Easter!! He thought it was great!! I have never made bread from scratch so this was a challenge for me..it was an easy recipe..although it had darken onthe top a little quicker then I expected..but all in all a deliciious recipe! Thank you for sharing it